Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Post

Happy Easter, everyone. I’m not religious in a Christian way, besides the subconscious residue inevitably left over from my Catholic upbringing, but I appreciate the symbolism in a general sense. Rebirth, redemption, a new life in a new context. All good things. So, today is the start of a new way of living for me. It is in this respect my New Year, and with it comes the resolutions.

My dad has been diagnosed with high cholesterol. I eat far worse than he does, so I’m sure mine is just as bad; especially since I tend to take after my mom’s side. Her dad died of a heart attack in his late 40’s, and my uncles there also have higher cholesterol. My heart on it’s own is relatively weak, given certain birth defects that the surgery could not entirely fix. The recent chest pains worry me a bit too.

My diet, as I said, is terrible. I eat more fast food now than I probably ever have in my life, and in general the food I eat is even worse than the garbage I ate while I was away at MSU a few years back (which was bad, let me tell you).

With all this in mind, I was actually a little worried about going on a run today, thinking I might keel over dead. I didn’t, but as it was, the run was terrible. I’m out of shape in a major way. I’ve hardly moved much in the last 6 months, as exercise goes, so I was gasping for breath pretty quick. I’ve never been much for running, preferring bicycling, but this is ridiculous.

So, I’m changing my diet, and my lifestyle. First, I’m massively increasing my fruits and especially vegetables. I eat almost none of that stuff nowadays, save for a daily banana. Going to go meat-lite; not vegetarian but close, and way less dairy and eggs. The biggest things for me, is processed food and sugary food. I am an admitted sugar addict; I get grumpy as a person quitting smoking without a steady stream of it all day. I eat something sweet and it’s like getting high almost, must be causing an endorphin release.

That, and more exercise. I’m going to try a Tai Chi class later this month, as well as more running and biking. I already feel better, just having run today and eaten a bit better, and it will only get better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home