Monday, January 15, 2007

Time wasted

Last night I was thinking about how busy my life has become. Working two jobs at about 50-55 hours a week, plus 3 classes. I don't completely mind it, though it means I have little time to do the things I want to do. Amazingly, work and school are not high on my list of "fun things to do with your life". Yet as it is, I figure roughly at least 75% of my time is dedicated to those two things (not counting sleep). Not in a technical sense, but including time getting ready for school or work, commuting to and from class, etc, I have very little time for my own interests. It's sad really, to sell your life out from underneath oneself. What a waste, right?

Anyways, I was thinking about how busy our lives are. And so full of distractions. Even when I do have time, it's so easily pissed away. Maybe I get online to check my email and see a news story that captures my interest. I go to Wikipdeia to look into some detail, and get lost on that site for an hour or two following links. TV is also great distraction and waste of time. Imagine what it would be like if we didn't have all this bullshit diverting our attention? Imagine what kind of creations we could be making. Think of the poetry or stories not written, the paintings not painted, the carvings not carved; think of the creative minds everywhere going to waste thanks to the passivity of "entertainment." There's a quote I heard once that went something like "it is through creation, not possession, that life is revealed."

I mentioned a few entries back about writing a book. Well, I finally got started, maybe 40 pages in, but damn it's hard to really get anything written sometimes. Not only is most of my time already booked solid, but the time I do have I want to divide among so many different things. It angers me not to be able to do any of them to my satisfaction. There's several books I want to read, a woodcarving I'm trying to finish, the afore-mentioned book... I haven't ridden my bike in weeks, and I rarely even go out anymore. I fear I'm going to get burned out and start making rash decisions.

I think I secretly hope I will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home