Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Back in the Saddle

Yes, you read right, in my other post. I did indeed buy another truck; because I'm going to be commuting to Oakland University, where I've enrolled for school, hoping to someday finish college. It'd be a damn long bike ride which time would not permit, so there really wasn't much choice. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I got it. Though, I admit, I wasn't looking forward to biking in the cold weather this winter. So I'm not sure if school was the only reason, or if I just sold out completely.

Sadly, I also got a second job, at Beaumont Hospital as a courier. I actually drive a car for a job. What a hypocrite I am! It'd almost be funny, if it weren't so sad. I don't intend this to be a permanant situation, though, so there's hope yet.

Anyways, today was relatively productive. I ran up to Beaumont to get my vaccinations, which I didn't want to but they require it for the job. I think it was free though, which is good. But the whole idea of vaccinations is tainted in my mind by the knowledge that some of them have mercury compounds in them, which is thought by some to be the reason autism rates in children have shot up over 500 percent in recent times. The rise correlates to the time when they started using those compounds. Good idea, right? Putting poison in required vaccines? Is it a conspiracy to make us need more medicine and pay for it, or is it just abysmally stupid misuse of a good technology (vaccines)? You decide. Anyways, it was weird, that even though I've already had chicken pox as a child, that I have no immunity to it, according to my bloodwork. It was a very mild case when I had it, but still, where did my antibodies go?

After I got home I decided to go for a bike ride. It's almost 50 degrees, and didn't look like it was going to rain, so I couldn't wait. The moment I got on my bike (first time in about 3 months, sadly), I remembered how much I loved and missed riding. About ten minutes into the ride, I remembered how out of shape I was. My legs were protesting mightily, and my lungs weren't too happy about things either. But about 5 miles out the muscle-memory was kicking in and I was going along great. Then, the cable for my front derallieur popped out as I shifted to go down a hill. At first I had no idea what had happened, only that I couldn't shift and was stuck in low gear. I thought something had broken. After I realized what happened, I had to kick myself, because I'd left my bike tools at home and couldn't tighten the nut that holds the cable down. I had nothing to do but turn around and struggle back home in low gear. Very disappointing, since this "warm" weather isn't likely to last. I may just have to suck it up and brave the cold.

After that, I taught myself how to sew as I fixed a few pairs of pants. I'm sure I'm doing this wrong, but I'm also sure the stitches will hold. It's just kinda messy and improvised. I'll have to have mom show me the real way to do it.

I added a new link to my blog ; the Ran Prieur one. I just came across it the other day and can't say much more than that I agree with most of what he says. He has a bunch of great essays on his site which I spent hours reading. I've actually thought a good deal of that myself before, he just puts it very coherently all in one place. He's a little "fringe" but I think it won't always be that way, as the Oil Peak nears and stuff really does start to fall apart. Ideas like the ones expounded in his essays may (should) become mainstream. I'm in agreement that we should start preparing NOW for this, rather than waiting for conditions to force us to, when there may not be enough time. You can't make a garden grow in a week when food shortages hit, so unless you have one growing already, you're screwed. Most important, though, is having the right tools mentally, the knowhow to find food and water when the trucks aren't driving and the water pumps aren't pumping. Also, it helps to be emotionally prepared for this major change in how we live our lives. I think that will be the biggest obstacle for most people. More on that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home