Saturday, May 05, 2007

Universe Got Jokes!

The universe is fucking with me. I seriously think it’s playing jokes, or trying to teach me something. Ok, my job as a courier depends greatly on the competence of others. Yet, other people often prove incompetent. Besides having to deal with traffic and other drivers (to say nothing of roadwork), I depend on the doctors, nurses, and technicians to know what they’re doing and not screw me over. Often enough they fail.

So, the other day I stop at a routine pick-up; routine, but still about 20 minutes away from the rest of my route. After I left (finding 3 specimen bags in the lockbox) and had nearly arrived at the next stop on my route, I get a call from dispatch that I had to go back, they had another. I freaked out; “why the hell did they put the specimens in the box if they weren’t done?” I fumed. Irrational rage, it’s sad when you confront it in yourself. Going back was going to cost me at least 40 minutes. I had plans that night, and wasn’t excited about being kept late.

I decided to leave it for the end of my route, then proceeded to spend the next 45 minutes muttering angrily to myself, in a general sour mood. Then, the universe steps in to poke me in the ribs and say, “don’t be stupid, stupid!” I get a call from dispatch saying someone else was going to pick up from 3 of the nursing homes I stop at, saving me probably around 25 minutes. Talk about feeling sheepish, and incredibly foolish for getting so mad. In the end, I finished probably ten minutes earlier than I generally do, and, having so much time to burn, went to Taco Bell. The part that kills me the most is that just moments before I got the call that I had to go back to the out-of-the-way client, I was remarking to myself how thoughtful and profound a certain Van Zant song lyric was, which I had just heard on the radio: “If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.” It’s kind of creepy, isn’t it?

In other news, I got rid of my TV. My parents’ set broke, so I gave them mine. My room feels so much… lighter now. More open and free, I can’t explain it, but I’m feeling very positive about it. I also signed on an apartment, finally getting out of my folks’ home. I won’t have internet (will have to live on the cheap), and I haven’t decided if I should update this from the library still or not. I’m not convinced it’s worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home